"EkoSeedForum - European conference on organic seeds, organic plant breeding, and crop biodiversity"
20-22 March 2014 in Poznań, Poland
Cinematic look back at the EkoSeedForum NEW!
Press release (EN) Press release (DE) Press release (PL)
What is the EkoSeedForum about?
Organic farmers are dependant on high-quality seed from organically multiplied varieties, which have to be perfectly adapted to their local conditions and climate. In his context the use of genetic diversity and the maintenance of old varieties is an existential issue. In Western Europe, breeding for organic farming has been established several years ago and has been developed under the IFOAM regulations. In Central and Eastern Europe particularly many old crop varieties still can be found, which without utilization concepts are threatened to be lost. At the meeting in Poland different approaches regarding promotion of organic farming, supply of organic seeds and crop diversity will be presented. There will be an opportunity to meet stakeholders from East and West Europe and see the results of their work. The aim is to build a network. Everybody who feels dedicated to these issues, is warmly invited.
Goals of the Conference:
- Support for plant breeders for organic farming and organic plant breeding methods in CEE
- Promoting of the use of organically multiplied seeds, varieties bred under organic conditions, and old local varieties
- The preservation and promotion of genetic diversity as acommon heritage in CEE
- The preservation and development of a non-GM crop diversity
- Exchange of experience and building up of future cooperation and support
- Focus first of all on cereals, legumes and vegetables
- (Organic) breeders and people who are interested in organic plant breeding
- Seed multipliers
- Oganizations and projects for the preservation of crop diversity
- Farmers, gardeners and other seed users, trade organizations
- Organizations and possible multipliers connected to organic farming and seed industry (consultants, associations, scientists, etc.)
- Users of organic food (wholesalers, processors, food manufacturers, etc.)
Here you can find the Programme for 20 - 22 March 2014 as well as the Excursion programme for 22 March 2014.
Conference languages are English, German, Polish, (Russian).
Biocentrum - Poznan University of Life Sciences